Friday, October 5, 2012

Multilingual Worship

I love languages.  When I'm in a new place or with someone who speaks another language, I usually try to pick up at least a few words here and there. There's something very significant and powerful about language.  Singing in multiple languages has fascinated me ever since I first started singing with the Jacksonville Children's Chorus in 1998. I think I had my first major exposure to multilingual worship in Israel. Many of the congregations sang in Hebrew, Russian and English at the very least.  When we went to services at The Shelter in Eilat, other languages such as Arabic and Spanish and Sudanese were also used. Multilingual worship is great reminder that one day we will hear the praises of those Jesus has redeemed from every tribe, language, people and nation (Revelation 5:9).

When I was attending Congregation Beth Messiah, our worship leader was involved in a ministry called Proskuneo that encourages and enables multicultural and multilingual worship. I just watched a short video series from them on youtube that gives really helpful, practical tips on how to incorporate language into musical worship.  Hope it can be a helpful resource to many congregations and individuals leading worship.

Part 1: Display lyrics in other languages

Part 2: Add one word in a new language

Part 3: Call and Response

Part 4: Song medley blending a traditional or well known song with a song from another country

Part 5: Simultaneous worship in multiple languages!

Part 6: Sign Language

Part 7: Multilingual verses

No comments:

Post a Comment