Thursday, September 4, 2014

Masada

While reading about Masada in Hebrew class, I started reflecting on that story. It’s a story of bravery and heroism. How 1,000 Jews (including women and children) in the mountain fortress held against an army of 10,000 Romans until the bitter end. And even then, they would not accept defeat – choosing death by their own hands rather than life as slaves to the Romans. That would have been a fate worse than death for them. The story of Masada has been glorified. It’s a powerful, inspirational story. It instills national pride. It motivates soldiers in the IDF to be willing to die for their country. But it also begs the moral question of suicide. Is there really a situation (even in war) where hope is lost to the extent that an individual or a whole community should take their life? There are several instances of suicide in the Bible (some, like King Saul, are in the context of war); however none of these are portrayed positively. I also think about the battles of ancient Israel which had worse odds than the siege at Masada. Gideon defeated the entire Midianite army with 300 men. Not that you should always expect a miraculous victory, but God is able to turn the worst defeat into victory. I pray I will never have to be in that situation, but I hope that I would trust in God to be my shield and my salvation. I found Psalm 27 to be very insightful in light of Masada. Here is the Psalm with emphasis added for phrases I found especially resonant with the story of Masada.

27 The LORD is my light and my salvation;
    whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the stronghold of my life;
    of whom shall I be afraid?
When evildoers assail me
    to eat up my flesh,
my adversaries and foes,
    it is they who stumble and fall.
Though an army encamp against me,
    my heart shall not fear;
though war arise against me,
    yet I will be confident.
One thing have I asked of the Lord,
    that will I seek after:
that I may dwell in the house of the Lord
    all the days of my life,
to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord
    and to inquire in his temple.
For he will hide me in his shelter
    in the day of trouble;
*
he will conceal me under the cover of his tent;
    he will lift me high upon a rock.
And now my head shall be lifted up
    above my enemies all around me,
and I will offer in his tent
    sacrifices with shouts of joy;
I will sing and make melody to the Lord.
Hear, O Lord, when I cry aloud;
    be gracious to me and answer me!
You have said, “Seek my face.”
My heart says to you,
    “Your face, Lord, do I seek.”
    Hide not your face from me.
Turn not your servant away in anger,
    O you who have been my help.
Cast me not off; forsake me not,
    O God of my salvation!
10 For my father and my mother have forsaken me,
    but the Lord will take me in.
11 Teach me your way, O Lord,
    and lead me on a level path
    because of my enemies.
12 Give me not up to the will of my adversaries;
    for false witnesses have risen against me,
    and they breathe out violence.
13 I believe that I shall look upon the goodness of the Lord
    in the land of the living!
14 Wait for the Lord;
    be strong, and let your heart take courage;**
    wait for the Lord!

*There were 2 women and 5 children who escaped to tell the story by hiding in pipes
**חֲזַק וְיַאֲמֵץ לִבֶּךָ (chazak veya’ametz libekha)

No comments:

Post a Comment